Experience the best of Cuba with our 7 Day Cuba Itinerary – find out which cities to visit & start planning your Cuban vacation today! You can see it all in 7-10 days!
7 Day Cuba Itinerary
There’s so much to see & do in Havana, it can feel like a huge city – even for experienced travellers like us here at DIY Travel HQ.
Havana has got to be #1 on our list of cities to visit in Cuba!
Top 18 Places to Visit in Cuba
Take full advantage of the 30 day visa & experience Cuba before it changes forever – find out where to go in Cuba in our 1 month itinerary!Read more
But for its diversity, it’s a relatively compact city & Downtown Havana can be divided into 3 main areas:
- Havana Vieja / Old Havana – this is the historic centre of Havana, with incredible architecture spanning all styles, from baroque to art deco. atmospheric masterpiece
- Havana Centro / Central Havana – this spectacularly dense & dilapidated area provides an insight into real Cuban life
- Vedado – this leafy residential neighbourhood boasts Havana’s best hotels, restaurants & nightlife. There’s a distinct aura of affluence in the the air, inspired by the art deco-style skyline
Where to next? How to Get from Havana to Vinales
Viazul runs 2 buses a day from Havana to Vinales
- Dep. Havana 8:40 am – Arr. Vinales 2:00 pm
- Dep. Havana 12:45 am – Arr. Vinales 5:10 pm
* We recommend spending at least 2 full days + the day you arrive in Havana.
Top Tip: If you’re short on time, Havana Vieja & Havana Centro can be visited in 1 day – consider taking a city tour in a classic American car.
The countryside here is very picturesque – within the karst valleys are fertile fields that produce some of Cuba’s best tobacco, coffee & bananas.
Hiking in the area is easy & flat and there are many trails. You can trek on horseback, hire a guide or go it alone.
There are numerous tour agencies along the main street or your casa will be happy to make any arrangements.
* Don’t forget to purchase travel insurance before any trip to Cuba. We’ve been using World Nomads for over 10 years – it’s the best-value provider we’ve found but there are important things to consider. Check out our post & find out which of our claims were successful or denied.
Tour option: Vinales Day Tour from Havana
Where to next? How to Get from Vinales to Varadero (via Havana)
Viazul runs 2 buses a day from VInales to Havana and 4 buses a day from Havana to Varadero. These are the best options:
- Dep. Vinales 9:10 am – Arr. Havana 12:35 pm
- Dep. Havana 1:00 pm – Arr. Varedero 4:00 pm
Price: US$12.00 + $10.00
* We recommend spending 1 full day in Vinales.
Top Tip: If you’re short on time, take the morning bus from Havana & spend the afternoon exploring Parque Nacional Vinales on horseback – arrange this with your casa beforehand or immediately on arrival.
Relax on Varadero beach, the best in Cuba & one of the finest in the Caribbean.
Swim in the crystal-clear turquoise-green waters, sunbathe on the silky smooth sand or chase kites with the local kids.
The Western beaches are located in the downtown area, close to restaurants & shops to buy snacks & drinks to take to the beach.
The further east you go, the more exclusive the resorts & guests. Most are on all-inclusive packages, with no reason or need to leave their private hotel beach – for many tourists this makes Varadero one of the best cities to visit in Cuba.
Where to next? How to Get from Varadero to Trinidad
Viazul runs 1 buses a day from Varadero to Trinidad
Dep. Varadero 7:30 am – Arr. Vinales 2:05 pm
* We recommend spending 1 full day relaxing on the beach in Varadero
Top Tip: There are snorkelling & diving opportunities available too.
Save the best for last with charming Trinidad, Cuba’s best-preserved colonial settlement.
With horse carts, 500 year old cobblestoned streets, pastel-coloured buildings & elegant plazas, Trinidad is a special place unlike anywhere else in the country.
Of course it’s one of favourite cities to visit in Cuba. For more inspiration check out Lonely Planet’s Cuba travel guide.
Lined with palm trees, Plaza Mayor is the heart of the Old Town, with many museums around the gorgeous square.
Don’t miss exploring the surrounding neighbourhoods for a taste of authentic Cuban life – far-removed from the tourist scene of restaurants & bars just a few blocks away.
For a beach escape just 15km away, head to Playa Ancon.
Where to next? How to Get from Trinidad to back to Havana
Viazul runs 3 buses a day from Trinidad to Havana
Dep. Trinidad 7:30 am – Arr. Havana 5:15 pm
Dep. Trinidad 8:15 am – Arr. Havana 1:50 pm
Dep. Trinidad 4:00 pm – Arr. Havana 11:20 pm
Price: US$20.00 (1st service) or US$25.00
* We recommend spending 1 full day in Trinidad.
Top Tip: If you’re short on time, Trinidad is small so you can see most things in half a day, after your bus arrives from Vinales.
That’s it from us! Interested in starting your own travel blog? See How You Can Set Up a WordPress Blog in 15 Minutes at Bluehost.com
Did you enjoy reading our list of Places to Visit in Cuba?!
Pin it and help others find it too!
Accessible DIY travel to more distant locations via multiple connections or longer forms of transport
* This post contains affiliate links, which means that we receive a small commission if you click on a link & purchase something that we have recommended – at no extra cost to you. This helps us to keep our site running so we can continue to provide free content. Thank you for your support!
Visited in May-June 2016