Find out how to visit all the major attractions & museums in New York City in 1 week for under $50!
The only attractions you’ll have to pay for are the Headquarters of the United Nations, Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island.
Many museums have free admission or Pay What You Wish days & times – we’ve done all the research for you to create the ultimate New York City Budget Itinerary! Let’s get started!
Monday in New York City
Spend your first day in New York City in & around Central Park, including the incredible American Museum of Natural History. At night, hang out at Times Square & catch a show on Broadway!
- Columbus Circle – free
- Central Park – free
- American Museum of Natural History – pay what you wish
- Times Square – free
For the full itinerary, see our post Monday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
Tuesday in New York City
Spend the day in Lower Manhatttan – walk above the streets on the High Line, indulge in the Chelsea Markets, explore Little Italy & Chinatown and pay your respects at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
- High Line – free
- Chelsea Market – free
- Greenwich Village – free
- SoHo – free
- Little Italy & Chinatown – free
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum – free from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
For the full itinerary, see our post Tuesday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
Wednesday in New York City
Visit the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island and take in the views of Manhattan from the water. On return, explore the Wall Street & the Financial District in Lower Manhattan.
- Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island – $18.00 to $22.00 including entrance & ferry transport for both islands
- Charging Bull – free
- Wall Street – free
- Trinity Church – free
- St Paul’s Chapel – free
For the full itinerary, see our post Wednesday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
Thursday in New York City
- The Met Cloisters – pay what you wish
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – included in Met Cloisters admission
- The Met Breuer – included in Met Cloisters admission
- Museum of Arts & Design – pay what you wish from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
For the full itinerary, see our post Thursday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
Friday in New York City
Explore Midtown East from the Headquarters of the United Nations to the Museum of Modern Art, with all of New York City’s most iconic buildings in between.
- Headquarters of the United Nations – $22.00
- Chrysler Building – free
- Grand Central Terminal – free
- Flatiron Building – free
- Fifth Avenue – free
- Madison Avenue – free
- Empire State Building – free
- New York Public Library – free
- Bryant Park – free
- Rockefeller Centre – free
- Radio City Music Hall – free
- St Patrick’s Cathedral – free
- Museum of Modern Art – free from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- Whitney Museum of American Art – pay what you wish from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
For the full itinerary, see our post Friday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
Saturday in New York City
Spend Saturday across the East River at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn Museum & Green-Wood Cemetery. Return to Manhattan in the evening for a few hours at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden – free between 10:00 am to 12:00 noon
- Brooklyn Museum – pay what you wish
- Green-Wood Cemetery – free
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum – pay what you wish from 5:45 pm to 7:45 pm
For the full itinerary, see our post Saturday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
Sunday in New York City
Attend a Gospel church service in Harlem on Sunday morning before being inspired at the Studio Museum in Harlem. Finish the day with a sunset walk across Brooklyn Bridge.
- Gospel Church Service in Harlem – free (donations collected)
- Studio Museum in Harlem – free
- Brooklyn Bridge – free
For the full itinerary, see our post Sunday in New York: Top Budget Itinerary!
7 Days in New York Wrap-Up
*** Tip of the Week: Follow our itinerary & your New York City vacation will be heavy on footsteps but light on the wallet! ***
Are you interested in seeing a Broadway production? Check out our post How to Score Cheap Tickets on Broadway Rush.
Do you want to know what else is free in New York? Check out our post Every Free Museum in New York City!
DIY Travel HQ – Helping you Travel for Longer for Less in New York City!
Accessible DIY travel to more distant locations via multiple connections or longer forms of public transport